50 Self Care Ideas for Moms: A Long List of Goodies
Self-care is actually a very simple act that I consider to be very much a requirement for daily life. It can be hard to forget about yourself and think of yourself as someone who needs to be cared for too. But trust me, an uncared for mom leads to an unhappy mom.
Practicing self-care is a good habit to get into, even if you choose just one activity a day to complete. You’ll feel better as you start to focus on yourself as a human too!
I’ve compiled a list of 50 self care ideas for moms, because I know how easy it can be to put yourself on the back burner. Even when your intention is there to care for you.
Why is Self Care Important?
So why is self care so important and what can I do to make some changes?
It is so very important because it gives you the time to work on things you enjoy doing. Do things that make you feel good about yourself.
And, bonus, it comes in so many forms so it is easy to implement into your life on a daily basis.
What it can do for you over time is lead to more happiness, less stress and anxiety, and, actually, an overall healthier life.
Who wouldn’t want that?!
I encourage you to choose 7 of the following activities, choose one for each day of the week. Fit it into your daily routine somewhere, and make a habit out of performing the activity regularly.
Let’s not hold out any longer, scroll down for the lovely long list of self care activities you can choose from to take care of YOU mom!
50 Self Care Activities
- Journal for 10 minutes – you can do this at the end of the night to let go of the day’s burden and unwind for the night
- Write one positive affirmation each morning to get you pumped for the day ahead
- Write down your goals for the day, the week, or even the month. This will keep you focused on things you want to accomplish for yourself.
- Try a new workout. If exercise is part of your daily routine (first of all WOO HOO, GO MOM!), try adding a new exercise into the mix to spice it up.
- Color your hair. We all love feeling like we look our best. Why not try something new with your hair.
- Give yourself a manicure.
- Have a coffee date. With yourself! What mom doesn’t love some alone time and coffee?!
- Listen to a podcast. I have a few on my Spotify playlist that I’ll tune into on occasion. I love some easy learning.
- Take a bubble bath. Cliché, I know. But it can be very relaxing for some.
- Drink some tea.
- Read a book. I suggest a self-improvement book, because who doesn’t love being the best version of themselves, am I right?
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for.
- Try a quick yoga flow. 20 minutes is all it takes to make you feel more centered and relaxed.
- Sign up for a free online course on a subject you’re curious about.
- Put on some makeup. If you’re like me this will make you feel like a big deal, I’m a no make-up kinda gal.
- Buy yourself the Starbucks.
- Pick up a new hobby, or one you haven’t picked up in quite some time.
- Make your bed.
- Take a personal day from work.
- Try your hand at painting a picture.
- Buy yourself a new outfit.
- Reach out to a friend and have a conversation.
- Practice meditation.
- Write an inspirational quote on a sticky note and place it on your mirror for when you wake up tomorrow.
- Spend some time with a pet.
- Sign up to volunteer at a local animal shelter or rescue.
- Plan a trip that you want to take this year.
- Visit with a friend.
- Get a massage.
- Make a list of 5 things you’re good at. It’s always good to do some self-reflection to remind you that you have talents.
- Go for a run or jog.
- Pick up a book from the library that you’ve been wanting to read.
- Grab your to-do list and complete one thing, and then check it off.
- Clean out your closet and donate the items you no longer wear to a local women’s shelter.
- Rearrange your bedroom to create a more relaxing environment.
- Go for a walk in your local park.
- Find some music you loved when you were younger and just sit back and listen.
- Post only positive things on social media today.
- Go to your local florist, or store that sells bouquets of flowers, and pick yourself a bouquet. Proudly display them in your home where you can see them every day.
- Ask a friend for help with something you’ve been struggling with.
- Try a wine-tasting tour at a local winery.
- Have a family movie night with the kids. Pick a funny movie to let the laughter boost your mood!
- Pick a new scent for your wax melter, and melt away! My favorite is Amazon Rain from Scentsy.
- Work on your finances by creating a budget that you can stick to.
- Start a savings account for a savings goal you want to accomplish.
- Start a bucket list of things you’d like to do in the next 5 years.
- Take a car ride and just enjoy the scenery.
- Stretch for 10 minutes, hit each one of your muscle groups. This will help release some tension in your body.
- Take a cat nap to wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the rest of the day.
- Book a spa day for yourself and just enjoy the relaxation.
- Make a list of things you’d like to accomplish this week or this month. Don’t forget to start making an effort toward accomplishing them though!
My Favorite Self Care Routine
My favorite self care routine includes crocheting and writing. I often have projects in the works with my yarn work, currently I am working on 2 blankets! One crocheted and one knitted. I cannot wait until they’re both done and I can curl up on the couch with a good book.
For my writing, you’re reading it here! Although, I did in the past start working on a novel in the thriller genre. Maybe I’ll take a look at finishing that one day as part of a new self care routine.
What are your favorites from the list? Shoot me a comment with your 5 favorite self care activities, even if they’re not on the list! I’m always open to new ideas.
- Lego Challenges Your Kids Can Do Today
- Mental Illness in Children: Signs You Should Know
- Meal Planning: The #1 Way to Cut Your Grocery Budget
- 50 Self Care Ideas for Moms: A Long List of Goodies
- Positive Parenting: Parenting Hack #1